Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Three layers of festive fall flavors create this memorable cake. Land-O-Lakes Cookbook.
Make and share this Pumpkin Pecan Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (18 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping
- 1 cup pecan halves
- heat oven to 350*F.
- in large mixer bowl combine wafer crumbs, chopped pecans and 3/4 cup butter. beat on med speed, scraping bowl often, until crumbly.
- press mixture evenly on bottom of 3 greased and floured 9" (23cm) round cake pans.
- in same bowl combine cake mix, pumpkin 1/4 cup butter and eggs. beat at med speed scraping bowl often until well mixed.
- spread 1 3/4 cup batter over crumbs in each pan.
- bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- cool 5 minutes; remove from pans, cool completely.
- in small mixer bowl combine cream cheese 2/3 cup butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. beat at med speed scraping bowl often until light and fluffy.
- on serving plate layer 3 cakes (nut side down) with 1/2 cup filling spread between each layer.
- with remaining filling, frost sides only of cake.
- spread caramel topping over top of cake, drizzling some over the frosted sides.
- arrange pecan halves in rings on top of cake.
- store refrigerated.
- Tip: to remove cake easily from pan, place wire rack on top of cake and invert; repeat with remaining layers.