These are really pretty, little, bite-size pastries/cookies. This is a traditional dessert in Spanish-speaking countries (such as Mexico) but also can be served as a sweet appetizer. You can also use jam or dulce de leche as the filling. Don't skip the glaze as it holds the empanaditas together. This recipe is from "Diana's Desserts". Filling needs at least 45 minutes to cool (less in the freezer).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and clo)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter (this is equal to 2 sticks, 8 oz, or 226g)
- 8 -10 tablespoons cold water
- sanding sugar (optional)
- 1Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened (8 to 12 minutes). Cool completely (45 to 60 minutes). Stir in pecans.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 3Combine flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl; cut in 1 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water until flour is just moistened.
- 4Divide dough in half. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place rounded 1/2 teaspoon filling in center of each circle. Fold one side of circle over other to form crescent-shaped empanaditas. Pinch together lightly to seal. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet; press edges together with tines of fork to seal.
- 5Whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water in small bowl. Brush egg mixture lightly over tops of empanaditas; repeat. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if using. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pecan Empanaditas (Mini Empanadas)
Serving Size: 1 (1254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.8
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 82.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 0.8 g