1/3 Photos of Pumpkin Pecan Cake With Ginger Whipped Cream
1 hr 50 mins
I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit! This cake is almost like gingerbread, with a firm texture and so fragrant; but the pumpkin flavor definitely comes through! This recipe is from Bon Appetit Magazine, November, 1990. It indicates 12 servings, but you can easily cut 16 - 18 slices. This cake is large, and you can freeze leftover slices. Allow yourself about 50 minutes to an hour for prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 828.06 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter (2 Sticks)
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- 4 large eggs, Room Temperature
- 395.10 ml solid-pack canned pumpkin
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml unsulphured molasses
- 29.58 ml dark rum
- 354.88 ml pecans, Coarsely Chopped and Toasted (about 6 ounces)
- 118.29 ml crystallized ginger, minced (I purchase crystallized ginger at our local food co-op.)
- powdered sugar
ginger whipped cream
- 1You will need: Non-stick Vegetable Oil Spray, about a tablespoon of butter, a 12-Cup Bundt/Tube Pan, and an Electric Mixer with 4-Quart Bowl.
- 2Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Spray 12-cup tube pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Generously butter pan. Dust pan with flour; tap out excess.
- 3For the SPICED CAKE, mix 3 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in medium bowl.
- 4Using electric mixer, cream butter with both sugars in large bowl until very light and fluffy. (I used my electric stand mixer with a 4-quart glass bowl).
- 5Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Beat in pumpkin, sour cream, molasses and rum.
- 7Mix in dry ingredients, toasted pecans and minced crystallized ginger. (I added the pecans at the very end, hand-stirring them in.).
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan, gently spreading evenly towards sides and around center. Batter will be thick.
- 9Bake until tester inserted near center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- 10Cool cake 15 minutes in pan on rack. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely. Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. (Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature.).
- 11Sift powdered sugar over top of cake. Serve with Ginger Whipped Cream.
- 12For the GINGER WHIPPED CREAM, use electric mixer, beat whipping cream, sour cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in large bowl to soft peaks.
- 13Add rum and ground ginger and beat until almost stiff. (Can be prepared 5 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- 14Hint #1: Toasting Nuts: I used a non-stick skillet. Turn on heat medium-high until pan is hot. Spread chopped pecans in single layer in pan and heat until their fragrance releases and they start to turn golden and brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Pecan Cake With Ginger Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.1
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 108.5 mg
- Sodium 445.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: