Recipe by Mirj
The combination of peanut butter and cream, makes this unusual soup very rich. It goes together in a snap for an elegant first course. A hollowed out fresh pumpkin shell makes a unique serving tureen
Top Review by ilovebunsen
I used a whole can of full fat coconut milk, 2 cups LESS stock and perhaps LESS peanut butter (chunky) with GREAT RESULTS. Just what I was hunting for! I have also made this with additions of chickpeas and also with curry pastes. So filling without filling you out!
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely mince the onion and celery.
- Either use a garlic press for the garlic or mince extremely fine.
- Melt the butter in your stock pot and sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the butter for about five minutes or until soft.
- Add flour and stir for a minute or two until it's disolved.
- Add the stock, followed by the remaining indgredients, whisking the mixture so it remains smooth.
- Simmer for about fifteen minutes and serve.