Recipe by Golf Gal
The Pumpkin Peach Trifle has canned pumpkin added to a basic yellow-cake-mix layered with a combination of fresh sliced peaches and apples. Jell-O has provided us with even more variety than our moms had when they first served this popular treat because now you can buy cheese cake and even pumpkin-spice Jell-O pudding to alternate with the traditional vanilla pudding for added flavor. The beauty of the English trifle is that there are no rules, so use the fruit that you like and combine any way you want. This year, spice up an old favorite with Pumpkin Peach Trifle Recipe from Jan D' Atri AZ. Republic Newspaper.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxesjell-o vanilla pudding mix (cook & Serve)
- 4 -5 large apples, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 4 -5 large yellow peaches, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chucks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (optional) or 1⁄4 cup peach brandy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium large saucepan, combine fruit, sugar, cinnamon, salt and brandy.
- Simmer fruit until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Mean while, prepare cake mix as directed adding one cup of pumpkin to the cake batter, mixing well.
- Pour equally into three 8-inch pie tins.(If using an 8-inch round instead of pie tins, slice cake into three layers when cooled).
- If using tins, bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- If using 8-inch rounds, bake according to package instruction.
- Prepare pudding according to package instructions and set aside.
- To assemble, place first cake layer in a trifle bowl.
- Add a layer, (about 3/4-inch thick) of fruit mixture.
- Spoon one third of the pudding on top of the fruit layer.
- Add second cake layer and repeat directs.
- Top with third cake layer and repeat process, ending with pudding.
- Decorate top of trifle with cooked slices of fruit, whipped cream or both.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Spoon into dessert bowls or parfait glasses.
- Serves with dollop of whipped cream.
- Serves approximately eight.