1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Patch Cake - Cute!
Chef PotPie's Note:
The Pumpkin Patch Cake makes use of two Bundt cakes (for the pumpkin itself) and two cupcakes (for the stem) to create a pretty convincing, life-size pumpkin. I found this adorable cake in Cook's Country magazine which I subscribe to, Oct/Nov 2006 issue. Our daughter's birthday is on Halloween, and I'm going to make it for her this year. I was having a difficult time getting the recipe through Zaar, so I just put to use 2 cake mixes. Flavor and brand is your choice! But you can also use 2 recipes of your favorite cake batter. Here's how to put it all together:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For this cake, you stack two Bundt cakes, making sure that the flat sides are sandwiched together and the ridges are aligned. Orange buttercream frosting and a cupcake 'stem' are the finishing touches.
- 2To make the cakes and stem: Prepare first recipe cake batter. Scoop 1/2 cup batter in standard-sized muffin tin; pour remaining batter into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan. Bake both on middle rack in 350-degree oven until toothpick inserted in center of each comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes for cupcake and 45 to 55 minutes for Bundt cake.
- 3Cool cupcake in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Cool Bundt cake in pan 30 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Repeat with second recipe of cake batter. Let both cupcakes and both cakes cool completely.
- 4To assemble and frost the pumpkin: Place 1/2 cup frosting in bowl and stir in two drops green food coloring to make frosting for stem. Stir two drops each red and yellow food coloring into remaining frosting, adding more until desired orange color is achieved. Use bread knife to level off domed top of cupcakes and even out bottoms of Bundt cakes. Assemble and frost.
- 5After placing one Bundt cake flat side up on a cake platter and covering the flat side with 1 cup orange frosting, place the second Bundt cake flat side down on top of the frosting, making sure the ridges on both cakes align. Then place one cupcake cut side up in the hole of the Bundt cake and spread 1 tablespoon orange frosting over the top of the cupcake.
- 6Using a cake spatula, cover the entire cake with orange frosting.
- 7Run the back of a small spoon up the sides of the orange frosting every few inches to create pumpkin "creases.".
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Patch Cake - Cute!
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.7
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 28.9 mg
- Sodium 351.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: