Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An adaptation of a Martha Stewart recipe. This would also be wonderful with some cooked sweet or hot Italian sausage. Be sure you use only pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling!
- 12 -16 ounces whole wheat penne or 12 -16 ounces similar pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or Romano)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt, pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions;drain pasta, reserving 2 Celsius of the cooking water. Set pasta aside and keep it warm.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the rosemary and fry until the rosemary begins to brown—about 2 minutes. Remove the rosemary from the oil and set aside.
- To the hot oil add: pumpkin puree, garlic, half-and-half, cheese, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and one cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. If the sauce is too thick add more pasta water. Season to taste.
- Toss hot pasta in the finished sauce and garnish with the fried rosemary.