Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking Light Jan 2009. Serve with a vegetable stew.
- 6 3⁄4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 3⁄8 ounces whole wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 large egg whites, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine pumpkin, yogurt, and 1 egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Brush remaining 1 egg white over top of dough. Sprinkle dough with cheese and pumpkinseeds, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden. Slice scones along score lines with a serrated knife. Serve warm.