Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was found on a bottle of Crisco Oil.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons well chilled shortening
- 2⁄3-1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup graded parmesan cheese or 2⁄3 cup romano cheese
- FOR CRUST:.
- COMBINE: flour, sugar, and salt in food processor. Add shortening (Cover and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pulse while adding Milk (1 tablespoon at a time). Until dough holds together when pressed into a ball.
- Shape into 3 round disks.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes to up to 2 days.
- FOR FILLING:.
- Heat shortening in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, Cook 7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in brown sugar, thyme and salt until evenly blended.
- Stir in pumpkin, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese.
- HEAT 1-inch deep vegetable oil to 350 degrees in large skillet over medium heat.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each to a 6 inch circle on lightly floured surface.
- Brush edges with water.
- Spoon 1/4 cup pumpkin mixture onto each circle.
- Fold dough in half to cover filling.
- Press edges with fork to seal.
- COOK empanadas in hot oil 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.