Recipe by petlover
Adapted from a swiss recipes website-posted for ZW7 - these are usually served as a side dish with meat.
- 2 lbs pumpkin or 2 lbs winter squash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the peeled pumpkin or squash sections into equal pieces about 5 or 6 cm in size and par-boil in lightly-salted water for about 8 minutes. Drain the pumpkin then cool under cold running water until cold.
- Coarsely grate the pumpkin into a mixing bowl then add the oregano and season to taste. Mix gently (do not over mix or the pumpkin will not bind) then divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into round cake or patty shapes.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet then add the pumpkin cakes, pressing them down with the back of a spoon or a wooden spatula. After about 2 minutes carefully turn them over and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until they are nicely golden brown.