Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was on one of those recipe cards that you get in the mail from time to time. We love the taste of the pumpkin and bran - even DD and she isn't a bran eater!
- 354.88 ml unprocessed oat bran
- 118.29 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml pumpkin pie spice
- 1.23 ml salt
- 236.59 ml mashed pumpkin, , cooked
- 118.29 ml skim milk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine pumpkin and next three ingredients; stir well.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling ¾ full.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately; serve warm or at room temperature.
- Banana Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute ¾ cup mashed ripe banana for pumpkin.
- Apple-Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup minced apple for pumpkin.
- Substitute apple pie spice for pumpkin pie spice.
- Add 1 Tsp ground cinnamon to dry ingredients.
These were good. I did forget the all purpose flour, because I forgot to write it down (my printer don't work). However I still enjoyed them very much! VERY MUCH! I added 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp vanilla, as well as some raisins and chopped pecans. They were very nice. I am going to save one for my breakfast tomorrow.
Very moist and tasty muffins. For this recipe I added whole eggs and used wheat flour. I also sprinkled pumpkin seeds on top of each muffin. Then using the back of a spoon I pressed the pumpkin seeds down into the batter so they would not roll off while baking. It made for a pretty muffin (see above). Next time I would like to add a bit more Pumpkin Pie Spice or perhaps cinnamon or ginger to kick the flavor up a bit. These would also be great with cranberries. Thank you.
Yummy, nutritious (beta-carotene from the pumpkin and fibre from the oat bran), and low fat... what more could I ask for in a muffin? These muffins were good warm as well as cold in my lunch the next day. The only thing I'd change would be to add some raisins.