Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A healthy alternative to chocolate cake, muffins or cookies!
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup prune butter
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute (for recipes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 2 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup prune, chopped
- Oven at 350 degrees.
- Mix wet ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients sugar through cocoa, mixing well. Add remaining dry ingredients, gently mixing in the fruits, nuts and chocolate chips. Batter will be thick: if too thick may be thinned with up to 2/3 cup water.
- Spray baking pans or sheets with Pam and/or use cupcake papers. Bake. When done, tops should be dry: Check with toothpick which should come out clean.
- Makes 3 large loaves: 40-45 minutes.
- Small loaves: 25-30 minutes.
- Muffins: 15-20 minutes.
- Cookies: 10-15 minutes.
ATTENTION! This recipe should be modified; flax seed oil is NOT for use in cooking or baking! It is not heat stable, will turn rancid and lose its health benefits. I would think it would give bread an odd taste, but even if not, this is NOT a healthy idea for an otherwise healthy oil.