Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Be sure to buy unsweetened canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, which is preseasoned and sweetened. This is a fairly stiff batter that takes a bit of stirring to incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry. Stop mixing as soon as the batter comes together.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ginger
- 425.24 g can pumpkin
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled (1 stick)
- 2 large eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml pecans or 236.59 ml walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse
- 236.59 ml dried cranberries (optional)
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger together in a large bowl. Whisk the pumpkin, sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla together in a separate bowl until frothy.
- Gently fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the nuts and cranberries (if using). The batter will be very thick.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour.