Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
I wanted a muffin that included cream cheese, all in one muffin, that I could make and then freeze so I came up with this recipe. Easy to make and freeze, then take out in the morning before getting ready to allow to defrost. You could also wrap in foil and pop it/them in the oven to warm up or in the microwave (wrapped in papertowel) on defrost level. Note: If you want the cream cheese to have a sweeter flavor, add 1/4 cup sugar to softened cream cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree (not the pie filling)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Take the cream cheese and roll into a log. Then wrap in the foil it came in and freeze while you assemble the rest of the ingredients for the muffins.
- Combine eggs, oil, sugar and pumpkin and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients(except cream cheese and pecans) to the above mixture and mix well. Pour into greased or paper lined cupcake pan to fill about 1/2 way full.
- Take the cream cheese out of the freezer and slice into 12 equal portions. Place a slice into each cupcake and press down under the batter. Sprinkle each cupcake with chopped pecans (if using).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Allow to completely cool before freezing.
wonderful alternative to pumpkin pie, really enjoyed the cream cheese center. I added a little sugar t the cream cheese to pretend it was a carrotcake/cream cheese icing in the middle type of muffin lol
OUTSTANDING MUFFINS, THESE! What a great way to spruce up a pumpkin muffin & make it something really special! We really enjoyed the pumpkin & cream cheese combo & DEFINITELY liked the pecans on top! Thanks for sharing a wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag]
I have seen a similar recipe to this but in bread/loaf form. What a great idea. Perfect for this time of year. I did opt to mix a bit of sugar in with the cream cheese. Not quite the 1/4 cup though. Also, I got 24 muffins and had to split my creamcheese accordingly. The aroma in the house was wonderful IMA. Made for HolidayTag.