Recipe by Heather'sKitchen
These are moist, spicy, filling muffins. They're full of good for you ingredients too! Great for breakfast or a lunch box treat. Makes 24 regular sized muffins or 48 mini muffins.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or melted butter, yum!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup date sugar (sucanat or brown sugar can be used in place of the date sugar but will make the muffins slightly swe)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (or nut of choice) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tins with papers. I usually give a light mist of nonstick spray inside the papers.
- Combine all dry ingredients (1st 10) in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Mix nuts into wet ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredients onto wet ingredients and gently fold together until just moistened. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes (regular size muffins).
- Bake for 15 minutes (mini muffins).
- While muffins are baking prepare glaze:.
- Melt butter.
- Whisk in cinnamon, vanilla and confectioners sugar.
- Whisk in milk.
- Set aside.
- Remove muffins from oven and spoon on glaze.
- As the glaze melts, spread over tops of muffins.
- Let cool.