Recipe by Jeniblynn
These muffins are so good! I am not a vegan but look for recipes on vegan websites because they are economical to make. I love pumpkin and these muffins are a staple in my house during the fall. The recipe calls for pumpkin but you can also use any hard squash.
Top Review by MissingWhiteWings
Great recipe! Usually "healthy" baked goods turn out hard, but these were soft and tasty. I subbed half a cup of vanilla whey protein powder instead of half a cup of flour so that these were packed with protein. Also added about a quarter of a cup of flax seeds. Will definitely make again!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (I use fresh but canned works as well)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add applesauce, pumpkin and spices.
- Mix well and add flour and baking soda.
- Put batter in muffin tin. Fill the tin full as these muffins do not rise much. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minute These muffins are best warm but keep for days when stored properly. So grab a cup of tea and a hot muffin and enjoy fall!