Recipe by PaulaG
This is a make-over of a Weight Watchers make-over. The fat has been reduced as has the sugar. These are a moist, spice muffin that can be enjoyed for breakfast or a quick dessert.
Top Review by Pardeemom
This was a good recipe. I only used 1 T. oil and instead of Splenda (which I don't use) I used 1/4 c. brown sugar. I also omitted the nuts and instead sprinkled white chips on top. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the powdered milk, I think when I make this again (and I will!) I'll use skim milk instead of the water/powdered milk mixture. I got 13 muffins that puffed up beautifully!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, non-fat powdered milk in a large bowl.
- Combine the applesauce, pumpkin, sugar, Splenda, oil, egg substitute and water in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly.
- Add the applesauce mixture to flour mixture, mixing until completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into muffin tin, filling about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle tops of batter with walnuts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tester inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Please note: When you bake with Splenda, the cooking time is greatly reduced.