1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Mousse Dessert Parfait
8 hrs 35 mins
This mousse is in the cookbook "Barefoot Contessa At Home" by Ina Garten. Have not tasted this as yet, but from the way it reads, and since it is a Barefoot Contessa recipe, I am 100% sold. Wonderful for a holiday dessert, that is not the usual pumpkin or pecan pie. Cooking time is cooling time - overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (1 packet)
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin (Not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream
- 8 -10 ginger snaps, chopped (Store-bought & spicy)
- crystallized ginger, for dercoration (optional)
- 1Place the rum in a heat-proof bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it.
- 2Set aside for 10 minutes for the gelatin to soften.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- 4Set the bowl of gelatin over a pan of simmering water and cook until the gelatin is clear.
- 5Immediately, whisk the hot gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- 6In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream and vanilla on high speed until soft peaks form.
- 7Fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture.
- 8To assemble, spoon some of the pumpkin mixture into parfait glasses, add a layer of whipped cream, then some chopped spicy ginger cookies. Repeat ending with a third layer of pumpkin.
- 9Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 10To serve: decorate with whipped cream and slivered crystallized ginger.
- 11*This is the final recipe of the dinner meal I have been posting, with roast capon, buttermilk mashed potatoes, green beans with shallots, and orange-honey glazed carrots. This is what the Barefoot Contessa served - it is a lovely combination of different flavors.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Mousse Dessert Parfait
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.1
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 151.4 mg
- Sodium 417.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 38.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g