Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Got this from a friend. From the Rebar Modern Food Cookbook. Muffins have a great texture.
Make and share this Pumpkin Millet Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup millet
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin pan with baking cups or grease (baking spray works well).
- Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin puree and mix until there are no lumps of brown sugar.
- Stir in the rolled oats.
- Heat a dry skillet and toast the millet until lightly browned.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds and add with the millet to the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Add this mixture to the wet mixture.
- Avoid overstirring as the muffins will come out tough.
- Fill the muffin cups and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Very delicious, nice crunch from the millet and soft and moist texture to the muffin. I used a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead of spices listed, used 1/2 cup applesauce instead of eggs. I left out the pumpkin seeds as I did not have them and used butternut squash puree instead of pumpkin since I have so much butternut squash coming in from my grandparents garden. I would definitely make this again.
These were TO DIE FOR! Oh, SO GOOD! I substituted the buttermilk for plain yogurt and instead of unbleached flour I used organic whole wheat soft flour. The resulting muffins were light, moist, and addictive! Thanks for a wonderful recipe! My 15 month old son devoured his! :)
We really enjoyed these! They have great flavor, and the millet adds an extra something unexpected. I used white wheat flour instead of the AP, and spelt for the whole wheat. I also left out the pumpkin seeds and DH said he wished I had remembered them LOL. I used some ground clove instead of ginger as that's what I had on hand, and applesauce instead of all but 1 T of the oil. Mine needed the full 25 minutes to cook through. Thanks for posting!