Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin, Canned, Mashed
- 3 large eggs, Separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, Ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, Ground
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the pumpkin, the 1/2 cup sugar, spices, and 1/2 ts of salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg yolks, stirring until well blended, then, gradually, blend in the evaporated milk.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F. oven for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean.
- Remove the pie from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites and the 1/8ts of salt in a bowl, using an electric mixer set on high, until foamy.
- Gradually add the 6 tbls of sugar, 1 tbls at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks from when the beaters are slowly lifted.
- Spoon some of the meringue around the edge of the warm pie.
- Spread the meringue so that it touches the inner edge of the crust all the way around the pie, using the back of a spoon to do this.
- Heap the remaining meringue in the center and, again using the back of the spoon, push it out to meet with the meringue border.
- Using a flatware knife, form light small peaks in the meringue and then bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.