Prep1 hr 30 mins
Cook1 hr 5 mins
I got this recipe somewhere, off a can, or label or something, years ago. I've made many modifications since then and though I would share. Note: I've written this recipe to make 1 cake, but I usually make 2 cakes whenever I make this, because you end up using a lot of portions of items and with 2 cakes you use up all of what you buy.
- 22 ounces approx. 1 1/2 boxes gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup margarine
- 16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces chocolate frosting (1/2 of a tub)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 5 ounces chocolate bars (optional)
- Finely chop/grind Gingersnap cookies to create crust from the crumbs. 1 1/2 boxes of cookies will make approximately 4 cups of crumbs.
- Slowly add margarine to crumbs, while mixing. Use more margarine as needed to make crust stick to pan.
- Press crust mixture onto spring-form pan, all the way up the sides of pan.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Combine softened cream cheese, 1/2 Cup (only) sugar, vanilla.
- Mix at medium speed until smooth/well-blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Put aside 1 Cup of this batter and chill in fridge.
- Add remaining 1/4 Cup sugar, pumpkin, and spices to remaining batter and mix well.
- Chill pumpkin batter in fridge as well (Chilling is not necessary, but it helps maintain the layers in the next step).
- Alternately layer pumpkin and cream cheese batters over crust.
- Cut through the batters with a knife several times for a marble effect.
- Bake pie at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan and cool before removing from pan completely.
- Mix softened cream cheese and frosting together until well-blended.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Put topping on cooled cake; it should reach just under the top of the crust.
- Shave/grate chocolate bar and add on top of whipped topping for garnish.
- Also, if crust is still too tall, even out crust with knife and garnish topping cake with bits of crust as well.
- Keep refridgerated until served.