This is a variant on Creamy Maple-Pumpkin Spread, made even lighter by using yogurt cheese (my new obsession!). I've also beefed up the spices a bit, and changed the proportions. As much as I loved the original recipe (and thank Vino Girl for posting it), I like this version even better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces yogurt cheese (made with nonfat milk, see note)
- 6 ounces canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (generous)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried orange peel (generous)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (scant, more like 1/16 tsp. really)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1Note re: yogurt cheese: There are several recipes on 'Zaar for making your own. You essentially take plain yogurt (without gelatin in it!) wrap it in cheesecloth, and suspend it over a bowl in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours. (The longer you drain it, the tarter and thicker it gets). For this, I use Trader Joe's plain nonfat Greek yogurt. You need about three cups of yogurt to get this amount of yogurt cheese. Try it! You'll love it!
- 2Throw everything into your food processor and process until smooth. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- 3This will be thinner/more spreadable than whipped cream cheese; the texture will depend on how long you drain your yogurt. If you want the spread to be a little thicker, you can blend in a few ounces of neufchatel cheese.
- 4I use this on bagels or bread, or on fruit -- or I roll it in a low-fat, high-fiber tortilla (like Joseph's tortillas, or Trader Joe's lo-carb whole wheat tortillas) for a lovely sweet snack.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin-Maple-Yogurt Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: