Recipe by Mirj
The pecans and maple syrup add a very nice touch. This is a traditional Jewish Sephardic recipe.
Top Review by s'kat
I think Mystergirl hit it head on! These rock! The flavour is very simple and they were a snap to make. My only problem was waiting to let them cool down enough so I could eat one without burning myself! My husband, again, was somewhat disenchanted with the lack of 'sweet' that these had... but said they were 'better than the other ones'. ;) Thanks, Mirjam, guess I'll just be makin' these for myself!
- 1 cup ground pecans (about 1/3 lb. shelled halves)
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon, rind of, , yellow only
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pecans, flour, lemon peel& coconut in a medium bowl.
- Tip egg white into another med bowl& beat with a hand mixer till soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in the syrup& vanilla, then fold into pecan mix, adding pumpkin as you go.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper& drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto it.
- Let relax at room temp 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 300.
- Bake mid-oven till just beginning to brown, 25-30 min.
- Let cool on rack till completely cool.
- Store tightly covered.