Recipe by alijen
Pumpkin, macadamia nuts, and white chocolate. A very good match! From Seeds of Knowledge.
Top Review by Buster's friend
OK recipe - bars were soft & cake-like with a nice flavor but the macadamia nuts were lost flavorwise. I suspect pecans (I am Southern afterall) or walnuts would be a better choice. The biggest problem with this recipe comes in with steps 8 -11. I used Nestles white chocolate chips. They softened to play dough consistency & even though I used a heavy duty freezer bag, and multiple 10 second zaps in microwave, they melted the plastic without melting the chips beyond thick play dough!! Yes, this was getting REALLY hot to knead! I dumped them into a bowl & the lump split open, revealing a coarse grainy consistency with brownish patches inside! I tried to ressurect them with a couple of tablespoons of butter (which sizzled when mixing with lumpo) but yielded a grainy mess, which idiotically, I tried to smear on the surface of the bars. Not pretty. I should have known beeter than to use microwave & plastic - these new-fangled techniques rarely turn out well for me. DH likes them - we will see how the pan gets consumed. If I make again I will keep only the pumpkin cake/bar base & not use macadamia nuts or white chocolate chips again.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, spices and baking soda in small bowl.
- Beat butter and sugars in large bowl until creamy.
- Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture until blended; gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the white chips and the nuts.
- Spread into a greased 15 1/2x10 1/2 jelly roll pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- While bars are cooling, place remaining white chips in heavy duty plastic bag.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds; knead.
- Microwave at 10 second intervals, kneading until smooth.
- Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to drizzle over the bars.