Recipe by MemphisMommy
A staple dessert recipe for the autumn. Freezes well, so can be made ahead of time and sliced into pieces for presentation on dessert table.
Top Review by TheDangerChef
So delicious!! I make a gluten-free version. To do this, you would use 1/3 cup white rice flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour, and then enough potato starch to make 3/4 cup, along with 2 tsp of xanthan gum in place of the flour. Thanks a lot Memphis, this dish always gets rave reviews!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together in seperate bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in larger bowl than add to dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
- For the filling:.
- Beat together the creme cheese and the 4 TBS butter until creamy. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour pumpkin batter onto a waxed -paper lined 13 X 5 jelly roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan holding wax paper in hands and place on tea towel for another 10 minutes to cool some more.
- Roll up cake in towel and keep that way for a minute or so.
- Unroll and place cake on saran wrap , taking off wax paper carefully.
- Spread cremem cheese filling to within an inch of all sides of cake, and then starting with short side of cake , roll up cake tightly and slowly.
- Wrap entire cake in saran wrap(don't worry too much about oozing if any-this can be removed later).
- Place in fridge or freezer until ready to serve.
- If serving soon after making cake roll , then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing.
- If freezing cake roll, you can let defrost first to serve whole , but I prefer to slice while frozen for cleaner cut cake slices and then serve individually w/ maybe some caramel sauce drizzled on top!