Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy and delicious vegan pumpkin lentil soup
- 236.59 ml dried red lentils
- 425.24 g can pumpkin
- 236.59 ml frozen spinach, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml sun-dried tomato, soaked
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml vegetable broth (made with 1 veggie bullion cube)
- 236.59 ml coconut milk (So Delicious brand, unsweetened)
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- Cook the lentils in the water with bullion until al dente, then add the pumpkin and spinach. In a separate skillet cook the onion in the olive oil until translucent, then add the spices. Stir for a few minutes and then add to the soup. Puree the soaked sundried tomatoes in a blender, then add half the soup and puree for another 30 seconds. Add back in and then stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste.
- Note: If using So Delicious Coconut milk, the calories come to 207 per bowl. I like using this brand because it is low calorie and still gives a wonderful creamy texture to soups.
I do not like giving low ratings and usually am a pretty good judge if I will like a recipe or not. I have looked over the recipe several times to determine if my problems were my misinterpreting the directions. I believe that the recipe was followed. The end product was way to thick for my liking. It required several cups of liquid to achieve the proper consistency. The addition of the extra liquid contributed to the soup being under seasoned. I added in ground coriander, extra red pepper flakes and some curry powder. To achieve a creamy consistency the entire can of coconut milk was used. I did enjoy the texture that the pureed spinach product to the finished product. Made for PAC Fall 2011.