1/3 Photos of Pumpkin, Lemon and Basil Risotto
This is one of my own creations, which came about when we had very few ingredients in the fridge and couldn't be bothered going shopping!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups butternut pumpkin, seeded and diced into 1 centimetre square cubes (squash)
- 3 cups chicken stock (or you can use a good quality vegetable stock if you prefer)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 9 saffron strands (optional)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter (you can use olive oil if you want to be healthier)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium lemons
- 300 g risotto rice
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- 40 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Heat the oven until it has reached 200 degrees (Celsius).
- 2Dice the pumpkin and place in the oven in a roasting dish. Roast until soft (but still holding its shape - it will need to be stirred into the risotto so you don't want it to turn to mush). This should take around 25-30 minutes.
- 3Gently heat the chicken stock, wine, saffron strands and bay leaf in a saucepan until simmering.
- 4In a large frypan heat the butter until melted and slightly bubbling. Add the garlic, onion and lemon zest and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent. Don't allow it to burn.
- 5Add the rice and stir to coat it in the mixture already in the pan for about 2 minutes.
- 6Add the stock/wine mixture one ladleful at a time. Stir constantly and add more of the stock as the rice soaks it up. Keep doing this until the rice is cooked and the stock has been used.
- 7Add the roast pumpkin and lemon juice, and stir until combined.
- 8Then, add the chopped basil and stir through until just wilted.
- 9Finally, top with ground black pepper and the grated parmesan and serve with crusty french bread (and maybe a salad).
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin, Lemon and Basil Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.1
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.1 mg
- Sodium 486.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 14.3 g