Years ago I was visiting a friend of mine who also likes to cook. Neither of us had made risotto before, mainly because the stirring, stirring, stirring part of it makes it sound complicated and time consuming. But, that evening we bit the bullet and made one. It came from one of her cookbooks (I know not which one). When I got home, I decided I liked the risotto so much, that I would have a go at it myself. As I did not remember the receipe, I adlibed a bit, so this is as much mine as the person who ispired us to give it a go. My friends have since dubbed this "Emma Risotto".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced into rings
- 2 cups grated pumpkin
- 1 liter vegetable stock, plus
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon light extra virgin olive oil
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 cup carnaroli rice or 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 teaspoons pesto sauce, from a jar
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cook the pumpkin and leek in the 100mL vegetable stock in a large heavy based pot until the leek has wilted and the liquid almost gone.
- 2Transfer the vegetable mix to a bowl.
- 3Heat the oil in the pot and add the rice.
- 4Fry until the rice becomes translucent.
- 5Add the wine and cook over medium heat, stirring until the liquid is almost gone.
- 6Progressively add the remaining stock in 250mL lots, returning the rice to the boil after each addition and then lowering the heat to a steady simmer, stirring as you go.
- 7There is no need to stir continuously, just enough to stop the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- 8Don't add more stock until the liquid from the previous addition has almost been absorbed.
- 9Add the peas with the third addition of stock.
- 10Add the pumpkin mixture with the last addition of stock.
- 11The dish is ready when the rice is aldente and the mixture is a little wet.
- 12Add the pesto and cheese and stir for a minute.
- 13Let the risotto sit, covered, for five minutes and serve with shaved parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin & Leek Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.5
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 106.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: