Recipe by patioprincess
I lightened this recipe from the original and cut calories in half, but not the flavor. It tastes like pumpkin pie without the crust. Sometimes I add a dollop of fat free Cool-Whip on top.
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and brown sugar.
- Cook over a medium heat about 5 minutes until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- In a small bowl beat the egg yolks and spices.
- Gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream into the eggs and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cream mixture into the pan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture coats a metal spoon, 4-6 minutes.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Whisk the pumpkin into the egg mixture.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until chilled, 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour the pumpkin custard into a 2 quart ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
- Note: You can use canned pumpkin pie, just eliminate the spices.