Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Use solid-pack pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix.
Make and share this Pumpkin Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar and corn syrup into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow.
- Beat in the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer.
- Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk until the custard thickens slightly (be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove pan from heat and beat in the pumpkin.
- Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream machine by following the manufacturer's directions.
- When done, the ice cream will be soft; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.