Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If pumpkins are in season, roast a small pie pumpkin and puree the flesh in a blender or food processor for this loaf cake. Otherwise, use canned pumpkin. This cake makes a nice holiday gift. Points 3.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree or 3⁄4 cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (whole-meal)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (plain)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together the canola oil, pumpkin puree, honey, brown sugar and eggs until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and, using the electric mixer on medium speed, beat until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts evenly over the top and press down gently to lodge the nuts into the batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out of the pan onto the rack and let cool completely.
- Cut into 12 slices to serve.
I probably shouldn't be reviewing this recipe as I made SO many substitutions, but I never would have been able to do it without this inspiration! I subbed coconut oil for the canola, doubled the pumpkin puree, subbed 1/4 vegetable glycerin thinned with water to equal 1/2 c. for the honey, omitted the brown sugar, subbed flax meal for the whole wheat flour, subbed almond meal for the all-purpose flour, omitted the flax seeds, subbed one tsp. pumpkin pie spice for the spices and subbed chopped pecans for the hazelnuts. I spread it all in an 8x8" pan and it came out very moist with just enough flavor. Thank you!