Recipe by TasteTester
These make such a cute presentation and can be used for an appetizer or side dish. They are perfect to make in autumn, when mini-pumpkins are readily available.
- 8 tiny pumpkins (mini-size)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces habanero cheddar cheese (or any hot pepper cheddar cheese)
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place uncut pumpkins in large shallow dish and add 1/4 inch of water; cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
- Reheat oven to 375 degrees F. With a paring knife, remove tops from pumpkins. Remove and discard seeds, then scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Place four cups of pumpkin flesh in mixing bowl. Separate eggs, stirring yolks into pumpkin flesh and placing whites in separate bowl. Stir flour and baking powder into pumpkin mixture, then stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whip egg whites into stiff peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon souffle mixture into pumpkin shells. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until puffed and set.