Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lovely breakfast dish, serve with maple syrup and a sausage or 2.
Make and share this Pumpkin Griddle Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cooked mashed pumpkin (mashed as fine as possible)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (, browned)
- butter (for frying)
- maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- Mix cornmeal,sugar, salt and soda in a large bowl.
- Add the mashed pumpkin, water and egg, and mix well.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Grease a stove-top griddle or heavy frypan and heat until very hot.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the griddle or pan and fry until lightly browned, turning once.
- Serve with maple syrup, if liked.
A totally different breakfast than anything I have ever had before, and I am so glad I tried it! It's sweet, yet not so sweet, and with just a touch of cinnamon that I added to it, it was delicious. I served it with honey instead of maple syrup, and can't wait to have these again!
We were very dissapointed. The texture was very grainy and something about the taste was just not right. I'm not sure if more sweetner would have helped. The kids would not eat them at all. I saved them and froze them, though. I'm thinking that I may try to crumble them up and try to make a crust out of them for a quiche.