Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are an excellent for any Italian meal! I modified these from Italian Cooking Magazine
- 4 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons butter (not margarine!)
- 8 ounces pumpkin or 8 ounces squash, peeled and seeds removed, diced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice sandwich bread, crust removed, cubed
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 6 shelled walnuts, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the unpeeled onions on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and roast in the oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool.
- Cut 1/4-inch off the bottom of each onion, and about 1/2-inch off the top. Scoop out the inner rings, leaving a 1/2-inch thick shell, and set aside. Chop the removed onion pulp, and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the pumpkin, chopped onion and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the pumpkin is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove and discard the rosemary, and set the skillet aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bread on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven until browned. Remove from the oven, and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
- In a bowl, mash the Gorgonzola with a fork. Stir in the pumpkin mixture, walnuts and toasted bread, and stuff the mixture into the onions. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.