Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very old-fashioned and comforting. Serve with ice cream for that finishing touch.
For the Gingerbread
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree (canned ok)
- 1 egg
For the Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
For Optional Garnish
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- toasted chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together flour and sugar.
- Use a pastry blender to mix in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In a 9-inch square baking pan, place 1 3/4 cups of the mixture and press evenly along the bottom to form a crust.
- Add pecans, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves to crumb mixture and stir well.
- Mix in buttermilk, molasses, pumpkin and egg.
- Pour batter on top of crust in the baking pan.
- Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick in the center and it is clean when you remove it.
- To prepare sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil, and cook for 1 minute or until sugar dissolves.
- Gradually add whipping cream and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon warm sauce over warm gingerbread.
- If desired, place ice cream on top of gingerbread, spoon sauce over ice cream, and sprinkle with nuts.
Oh this is SO good! It's definitely going into my Fall recipes cookbook! Thanks so much!
I love this dessert. I hadn't realized that the recipe was posted and inadvertantly posted a duplicate that has now been removed. :oops: However, that gives me the opportunity to rate this incredible dessert. It is fall comfort food at its best. This cake is best served warm with the delicious sauce oozing over vanilla ice cream. I have hunters that visit each October and request this dessert.