Recipe by Chef Skie
Loyaers of spicy gingerbread, pumpkin filling, and fluffy whipped topping make this decadent desert a feast for your eyes and taste buds. From Taste of Home August/Sept 2008. Posted for safekeeping.
Top Review by Southern Lady
I can't believe I haven't left a review after making this dessert for 4 years. It's absolutely memorably delicious! Truth is, I can eat this until I'm green it is so good. It is requested for all potlucks at church and I half the recipe to make for my family throughout the holiday season. As the topping for a better presentation for guests, crumble gingersnaps, or sprinkle with cinnamon, or I save a little of the gingerbread and crumble on top instead. Yum Yum Yummy!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) packages gingerbread cake mix
- 1 (4 5/8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (cook and serve, not instant)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (29 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and bake gingerbread according to package directions using two greased 9 inch round cake pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for pudding, in a large saucepan combine pudding mix and milk. Stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer, or until thickened. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine pumpkin and brown sugar and stir into pudding.
- In a 4-quart glass serving bowl or trifle dish crumble one gingerbread cake and gently press down. Top with half of pudding mixture and half of whipped topping. Repeat layers.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.