Nice alternative to pumpkin pie, and what a way to mix two delicious holiday flavors together! Great for a holiday dessert or anytime you want a good 'comfort' food. Enjoy! I use CoolWhip French Vanilla for extra oomph! Recipe compliments of Paula Deen and the FoodNetwork.
- Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.
- Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.
- Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping.
- Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping.
- Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.