Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice alternative to pumpkin pie, and what a way to mix two delicious holiday flavors together! Great for a holiday dessert or anytime you want a good 'comfort' food. Enjoy! I use CoolWhip French Vanilla for extra oomph! Recipe compliments of Paula Deen and the FoodNetwork.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages gingerbread mix
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (30 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnaps (optional)
- Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.
- Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.
- Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping.
- Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping.
- Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.
This was a huge hit at Thanksgiving. I followed the advice of a couple of people who had reviewed the recipe. I made all of the components the night before, refrigerated them overnight, and put the trifle together in the morning. I think this kept it from getting soggy. I also made my own whipped cream instead of using Cool Whip. Finally -- my own idea -- I cut the gingerbread into 1 - inch square pieces rather than crumbling it. I believe this made the trifle look more attractive. I will definitely make this again.
When I saw this recipe I knew it would be a happy ending dessert for our Thanksgiving dinner. I made it with a little help from my DW and between the two of us we did an awesome job! I used real homemade whipped cream, and it was just like I imagined it would be, delicious! Tony
I had a work party at my house last week and server 4 different trifles. this one was the favorite. Reviewed by 50 people. Thanks L