Recipe by SusieQusie
This moist spicy cake topped with a buttery caramel sauce is comfort food at its best. Posted for ZWT 2006 - Canada - from Land O' Lakes recipes.
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see note below)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping, heated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Combine all streusel ingredients except butter in small bowl; cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and 1/2 cup butter in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add all remaining cake ingredients. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour cake batter into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with streusel. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve cake warm or cool with ice cream topping.
- * Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon EACH ground nutmeg and ground cloves can be substituted for 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice.