Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup strong black coffee
- 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 2 cups pecans, broken into large pieces
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat oven to 350°; butter a 9x5 loaf pan; dust it all over with fine, dry breadcrumbs; tap over a piece of paper to shake out excess; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and mustard; set aside.
- In a big bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter; add in sugar and beat to mix.
- Add eggs and beat to mix.
- On low speed, add half of the dry ingredients, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat only until barely incorporated; mix in the coffee.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat only until incorporated; add the pumpkin and, scraping the bowl as needed, beat only until incorporated; remove bowl from mixer.
- Stir in pecans.
- Turn mixture into prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Then, with the back of a spoon, form a trench down the middle, about ½ to 1 inch deep; the trench will prevent the middle from rising too high, although it will rise some anyhow and form a crack down the length of the cake (it is supposed to).
- Bake 1 hour and 10-15 minutes, until the top feels slightly firm to touch and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10-15 minutes; cover the pan with a rack, turn over the pan and the rack, remove the pan, cover the cake with another rack, and very carefully turn over again, leaving the cake right side up to cool.