Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious flavorful scone that is good at any time of year, not just in the fall and winter. Enjoy for breakfast, with tea or coffee or even for dessert. Makes a good gift, too. Just made them again for a friends birthday (1/09) and mmmmm forgot how I love them so much.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped (1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger can be substituted)
- 1 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- Combine 1/2 c sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut 5 Tbsp butter into dry ingredients until crumbly.
- In separate bowl combine the egg, pumpkin, sour cream and ginger.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in cinnamon chips.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead 10x. I add extra flour here as the dough is usually a bit moist.
- Divide dough in half and form each half into a 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges.
- Brush wedges with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden on edges.
Really good! I patted out the dough on a parchment covered baking sheet then cut and moved apart to bake. Excellent as is, though next time I might cut the chips back to 3/4 cup and increase the crystallized ginger to 1/4 cup for more ginger flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Excellent scones. I've used this recipe the last several years, during the holidays, and now family and neighbors ask, "when are you making those scones?"
WOW! This was my first attempt at scone making and they turned out perfectly moist with a delicious combination of flavors. Not overly pumpkin-y, ginger-y or cinnamon-y. I must have made "petite" scones because I got 26 scones from this recipe. I can't wait to take them to work tomorrow!