Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe has been in my files for over 25 years. I enjoy the caramel sauce over ice cream on top of a warm slice of the ginger cake!
Top Review by appleydapply
Wonderful flavor...as Mimi pointed out, just slightly different from the usual pumpkin pie flavors but delicious! And the caramel sauce was wonderful; we served with ice cream. It would also be good with whipped cream if your cake and sauce aren't too hot. Now the reason for the no-star review: I didn't know how to rate this because the crust didn't turn into a crust; it was a powder-y layer underneath the cake. I used a glass dish since that was the pan I had of the right size and I wondered if a metal pan should have been used? So I z-mailed Syd who said he has always used a metal pan. This was so yummy that I will try to make again if I can scrounge up a metal pan the right size. :)
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 1 egg
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cake, in large bowl combine flour & sugar, then cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in pecans.
- Measure out 1 1/4 cups of crumb mixture, & press it evenly into the bottom of ungreased 9"x9" baking dish.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add last 9 cake ingredients, & mix well.
- Pour evenly into crumb-lined baking dish, & bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- For the caramel sauce, in medium saucepan, melt butter, then stir in sugar & syrup.
- Bring to boil, cooking & stirring constantly about 1 minute, or until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in whipping cream, & bring to boil again.
- Remove from heat, & let cool.
- Serve over warm ginger cake.