Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried fig, chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin, cooked or canned
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 orange rind, grated (2 tsps. dry)
- Combine the juice, raisins and figs in a bowl.
- Let stand for 1 hour or overnight.
- Beat together the pumpkin, sugar and oil.
- Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices, mix well.
- Add the nuts and orange rind.
- Stir to blend well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Wrap in foil and refrigerate until ready to use.