Recipe by cookingpompom
From my grandmothers handwritten recipe box collecion. Original recipe is by a Mrs Dot Felstead, no date given. My grandmother was an avid baker, she loved anything with fruit in it - fruit cakes in particular as she made wedding cakes right up until the age of 76.
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin, fresh not canned
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 lb dried mixed fruit (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons plum jam or 2 tablespoons marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup (honey if you are in the States)
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture into a greased and lined 8 inch square tin (needs to be deep).
- Bake at 170oC for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until when cooked when tested.
- Note - Blached almonds can be added to the top of this cake prior to baking to make it look pretty.