These fritters can be made either as a dessert and served with cinnamon-sugar, or as a side dish with venison or ham, and they go surprisingly well with fish! The sweetness-with-spice is typical of the cooking style of the then Malay slaves. It's a down-home comfort dish and ideal for left-over pumpkin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put all the dry ingredients in a processor.
- 2If not using a processor, put in a mixing bowl, and mix well.
- 3Add the eggs, and process well until a thick batter forms -- or mix well in the mixing bowl. The batter should almost hold its shape when tested with a spoon.
- 4If the batter is too stiff, add a tiny amount of milk. If by any chance it is runny, add more flour (shouldn't happen!).
- 5Heat oil in a pan, using medium to high heat to start with.
- 6Scoop up heaped tablespoons of batter, and drop into pan, but not too close together. You won't have huge fritters as some of the batter will stay clinging to the spoon.
- 7Fry until firm and golden on the underside, then flip over and fry on other side.
- 8(You could use a non-stick pan and not use oil or butter, but a little oil is preferable).
- 9The fritters will puff up slightly and keep their shape, but will deflate a bit as you take them out of the pan. To test for doneness, press very lightly on the fritters. When done, they will tend to spring back. If still uncertain, press harder: no batter should run out the sides.
- 10Serve warm, either as a side dish, or as a dessert with plenty of crunchy cinnamon-flavoured sugar.
- 11NOTE 1: The pumpkin MUST be dry. We do not have canned pumpkin in South Africa, and would use home-cooked pumpkin. Whatever: drain very well, or cook the pumpkin in a pot without a lid until all water has evaporated.
- 12NOTE 2: I do not know if your canned pumpkin is sweetened. If so, don't add sugar -- it's your choice.
- 13NOTE 3: I specified yellow sugar, which Zaar's format does not recognise. Use brown or white if no yellow granulated sugar available.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Fritters, South African Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.2
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 509.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g