Recipe by Sydney Mike
This slightly tweaked, warming recipe, with its combo of yam, pumpkin & carrot, comes from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995.
Top Review by weekend cooker
This was the first time we tried Pumpkin Friatta, and we all enjoyed this. It had a wonderful combination of spices, and we were pleased. No leftovers here . Definately have to save this and make again. Made for PRMR tag..
- 1 medium yam, unpeeled, sliced (about 8 oz)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree, canned, solid-pack
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook yam in boiling water until tender, about 7 minutes, then drain & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large, nonstick ovenproof skillet, warm 1 TEASPOON olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add carrot, scallions & garlic, & cook, stirring frequently, until carrot is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet & set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the whole eggs, egg whites, pumpkin puree, ginger, salt, pepper & nutmeg, then stir in the carrot mixture.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, warm remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add yam & stir to coat.
- Spoon egg/carrot mixture on top & sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook until bottom is set, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven & bake until frittata is set, about 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges, serve & enjoy!