1/3 Photos of Pumpkin French Toast (Vegan)
A delicious, healthy, easy, and custardy vegan French toast from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new cookbook, "Vegan Brunch". Recipe is very low effort but requires 30 minutes soaking time. TIP: These french toast recipes call for stale bread because it’s going to be soaking up custard, but you still want the bread to hold its shape. Fresh bread will get mushy and, worst case scenario, fall apart. A 3 day old loaf should be just fine and 5 days old might be too late (make it into breadcrumbs instead.) If you have only a fresh baguette, toast slices at 300°F oven for about 10 minutes, until they are hardened a bit but not toasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stale baguette, sliced diagonally in 1 inch pieces (see above tip) or 8 pieces thick sliced bread (see above tip)
- cooking oil, for the pan
- 1Mix together all ingredients except for the bread. Spread out baguette slices on a rimmed baking pan in a single layer. Pour on pumpkin mixture and flip to coat. Let sit for 20 minutes, then flip over and soak for 10 minutes more.
- 2Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking oil, or drizzle a little into the pan, and cook about half of the soaked breads at a time for 5 to 7 minutes on one side and about 3 minutes on the other. They should be golden to medium brown and flecked with darker spots. Keep warm on a plate covered with tin foil while you cook the second batch.
- 3If not serving immediately, cover and place in a 200°F oven for up to an hour. Serve with maple syrup and margarine, of course.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin French Toast (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (1169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.3
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 346.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: