Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A must try for anyone who loves pumpkin!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 (5 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons premium golden agave tequila or 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pumpkin Seed Praline
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook 1 cup sugar in a dry 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork, until melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden, about 5 minutes.
- Quickly and carefully remove hot dish from oven and immediately pour caramel into dish, tilting it to cover bottom and sides.
- (Leave oven on.) Keep tilting as caramel cools and thickens enough to stay in place.
- Scald whole milk with evaporated milk in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- Beat eggs and remaining cup sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in salt, pumpkin, tequila, and spices.
- Pour milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl and beat into pumpkin mixture in a slow stream until combined well.
- Pour custard over caramel in dish and set in a water bath of 1-inch hot water.
- Put pan in middle of oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until golden brown on top and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours, possibly longer.
- Remove dish from water bath and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 6 hours.
- To unmold flan, dip bottom of souffle dish briefly (20 to 30 seconds) in a warm water bath.
- Then, run a thin knife around flan to loosen from sides of dish.
- Wiggle dish from side to side and, when flan moves freely in dish, invert a large serving platter with a lip over dish.
- Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter.
- Caramel will pour out over and around it.
- Cut flan into wedges and serve with caramel spooned over and with shards of praline.
- Pumpkin Seed Praline: Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- Cook sugar, water, and a pinch of salt in a deep 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a metal fork, until melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden.
- Immediately stir in pumpkin seeds and quickly pour onto foil, spreading into a thin sheet before it hardens.
- (If caramel hardens and is difficult to spread, put in a 400 degree F oven until warm enough to spread, 1 to 2 minutes.) Cool praline on baking sheet on a rack until completely hardened, then break into large pieces.
I was a baker for a restraunt, and I used this recipe during the fall season. I had a hard time finding the pumpkin seeds so I made it with pecans instead and it was fabulous. There were alot of happy customers. I also made this for my family for thanksgiving, instead of pumpkin pie. Thank you. I will definately be making this again.