I'm not a pumpkin fanatic, but this flan is really delicious. I think this came from Cuisine or Bon Appetit. This recipe takes time and cooking times doesn't count refrigeration time, but it is worth the extra effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- cooking spray
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 2 cups unsweetened canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- star anise
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Combine granulated sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until golden, stirring gently.
- 2Immediately stir in anise extract.
- 3Place in a 6 1/2 cup metal ring mold coated with cooking spray, tipping quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan. Set aside.
- 4Combine pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- 5Add cornstarch. salt, cardamom, eggs, allspice, and egg white and process until smooth.
- 6Add milk, rum, and vanilla and process until smooth.
- 7Pour into mold and cover with foil.
- 8Place mold in a 13x9" baking pan and add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- 9Bake flan at 350°F for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Remove mold from pan and cool, uncovered, on a wire rack.
- 11Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- 12Loosen edges of flan with knife or spatula.
- 13Place a plate upside down on top of mold.
- 14Invert flan onto plate.
- 15Drizzle remaining caramelized syrup over flan and garnish with star anise.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Flan With Caramel Anise Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 76.1 mg
- Sodium 157.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 35.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g