Recipe by PaulaG
I was searching the web for directions on preparing sugar pumpkins for puree and stumbled across this recipe. A wonderful fall treat! This is easy to make and an elegant dessert for those special times.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle the bottom of 8 half-cup ramekins or individual flan dishes with half of the brown sugar.
- With mixer, beat eggs; add pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the milk, heavy cream and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking dishes.
- Place the baking dishes in a large baking pan filled with water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the flan dishes.
- Bake for 1 hour and remove from oven.
- Remove the flans from the water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Flans can be prepared ahead to this point and refrigerated for later use.
- Before serving, heat oven to broil and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Place under broiler for a couple of minutes or until browned.