Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I was searching the web for directions on preparing sugar pumpkins for puree and stumbled across this recipe. A wonderful fall treat! This is easy to make and an elegant dessert for those special times.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle the bottom of 8 half-cup ramekins or individual flan dishes with half of the brown sugar.
- With mixer, beat eggs; add pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the milk, heavy cream and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking dishes.
- Place the baking dishes in a large baking pan filled with water so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the flan dishes.
- Bake for 1 hour and remove from oven.
- Remove the flans from the water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Flans can be prepared ahead to this point and refrigerated for later use.
- Before serving, heat oven to broil and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Place under broiler for a couple of minutes or until browned.
Great taste! I couldn't for the life of me find pumpkin puree, so ended up using canned yams, which worked well! Thanks Paula! Made for ZWT3!
This was so good! Made it for ZWT Three. As Kittencal says, it does need more sugar. I used a full half cup brown sugar in the flan as well as the white sugar and using some brown sugar on the bottom of the cups. I also used more spice because in Pumpkin Pie itself, I tend to have and enjoy a heavy hand with the spices. I added 1/2 tsp of Ginger to it. This is wonderful!
Great recipe Paula, but needs more sugar, this bakes out very soft and fluffy, we enjoyed this, thanks!...Kitten:)